With a vibrant cultural and active sports scene, Tallahassee offers many activities for residents. Capital to the state of Florida, this city boasts many outdoor recreation activities, diverse restaurants, and many family-friendly activities. Here are the top six reasons to consider moving to Tallahassee, Florida.
From a vibrant arts and culture scene to great sports rivalries, Tallahassee offers residents plenty to cheer about. This capital city boasts an abundance of outdoor recreation for all ages, a diverse foodie scene, and a ton of family-friendly festivals and activities. Here are the top eight reasons to move to Tallahassee.
1. Tallahassee is home to Florida State University, the state's only member of the Association of American Universities. With nearly 41,000 students and a student-to-faculty ratio of 18:1, it's an academic powerhouse with impressive research funding. It also ranks among the best schools for undergraduate education in the country, according to U.S. News & World Report.
2. Serving as Florida's capital city since 1824, Tallahassee is steeped in history and tradition. There's even a "haunted history" tour to take if you dare. And since it's home to the state government, Tallahassee has no shortage of attractions that salute Florida's history.
3. Great Food and Arts Scene. It's home to a diverse population, which means that the city offers a variety of international eats and experiences. For example, you can find everything from Cajun to Thai to Cuban cuisine here. And the culinary scene is continuing its upward trend, highlighted by award-winning chefs, craft breweries, farm-to-table eateries, fine dining, and food trucks.
The Tallahassee Symphony Orchestra is one of the oldest in the Southeast, and it's still going strong with a full schedule of concerts. The local theater scene is equally vibrant, with the American Stage in Tallahassee and the Theater Tallahassee performing live theater, including Broadway musicals and children's shows.
4. Capital Circle is the place to go for outdoor recreation in Tallahassee. The 17-mile, multi-use loop around the city include biking and jogging trails, picnic areas, and canoe and kayak access point to the scenic St. Marks River. There's also a vibrant park system that includes more than 150 miles of trails and scores of city and community parks and playgrounds.
5. College sports fans will love Tallahassee, where the Florida State Seminoles reign supreme. The football team has won three national championships, earned five undefeated seasons, and sent more than 50 players to the NFL. The program has raised nearly $300 million for university programs—more than any other public college in Florida. And the rest of the sports teams are no slouches, either. FSU's men's basketball team has won three straight Atlantic Coast Conference championships and is a perennial contender.
6. For the little ones, Tallahassee is home to one of the best children's museums in the country: The Museum of Florida History. With more than three floors of interactive exhibits and hands-on activities, it's designed for kids of all ages. And with so many family-friendly events in the area, including outdoor festivals and free concerts, there's something fun to do no matter when you visit.